Saturday, September 22, 2007

To all fishes I love..

Studies on the diversity of freshwater fishes in Peninsular Malaysia had been carried out by many researchers in the past and certainly one of the best explored organisms to date. About 278 species has been recorded until 1998. A few new finding has been made and the number at the moment probably about 292 species including a few probably new to Science.

In the recent expedition to Endau-Johor area, I made a decent collection at a small tributary of Sg. Madek. This small stream is really special. If the timing is good, more species should be collected. My electrofishes is not working really well. However, without using the electrofisher, my students and I were able to collect several interesting species using push nets. I found a species of Pangio which I'd never come across before. I am excited! Fish such as Chaca bankanensis (see picture) which I was last seen in 1997 from the swamp of Pondok Tanjung, Perak is found here. The current specimens of two adults and a juvernile were collected from leaf piles in stream, a tributary of Sg. Madek. The previous collection was made in swampy habitat which significantly different from this one. Two species of Vaillentella is also found here. Err.., two or one, is doesn't matter but it's something that make me feel excited to come back. There were more leaf piles to dig and seek..

It's certainly worth going, and I'm planning to come back with my team, soon. It was a great outing for me..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any other pics, dude?? ;)

amey ahmad said...

Yeah.. I'll posted later.. Do come back. Thanks :D