Thursday, October 2, 2008

Freshwater Fish Fauna of Malaysia - Introduction

This will be the 'introduction' to the page on freshwater fish fauna of Malaysia. I purposely choose to do a write up on freshwater fishes of Malaysia since we don't have one! So, this will cover fishes that inhabits inland water of Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak. It will take some times to complete but, what the heck.. I just do it slowly, at my own time.. Well, it is not going to be 'converted' to book but the possibility is there. From my pers. comm. with a few friends, soon there will be a 'great big book' on Freshwater Fishes of Southeast Asia! However, this will benefit anyone who is interested in fish fauna inhabits inland and to some extend, estuaries of Malaysia. Since it is on Malaysia, I shall includes material found in Peninsular Malaysia (Note. Not Malay Peninsular).

Since this will be something like 'picture-guided' page, entry will base on species-by-species. Surely, whatever picture I have, I try to put it here. Don't expect it to be the best, but I do hope it will help.. I'll try to give references where possible in pdf for anyone interested to 'explore' more. Else, I shall cited a few publications that are relevant.

Lim & Tan (2002) defining freshwater fish as "fish species that spend their adult lives and breed in freshwater beyond tidal influence". I'll used this definition throughout my entry. Nomenclature follows Lim & Tan (2002), except for the genus Systomus which replaces Puntius (after Rainboth, 1996: 103).

No comments: